Fylingdales with Hawsker cum Stainsacre
Fylingdales St Stephen (Old church)
(N 54.34280, W -0.53938) Postcode: YO22 4PF
The parish of Fylingdales, including Robin Hoods Bay, lies on the coast about 5 miles SE of Whitby. In 1353 Whitby Abbey won a legal battle to prove that Fyling was a ‘daughter chapel’ of the abbey, and in 1588 it was reported that, though there were various chapels in the area, no services had been held, except in St Stephen’s church, for forty years. Fylingdales was created as a parish of Whitby in 1786. Today there are two churches of St Stephen. The ‘old’ church (shown right) stands
on a mediaeval site, off the Whitby road three-quarters of a mile above Robin Hoods Bay. It was beautifully rebuilt in 1821 in Georgian style and is now owned by the Churches Conservation Trust and used only occasionally for services.
Fylingdales St Stephen (New Church)
(N 54.43436, W -0.53929) Postcode: YO22 4TG
The new church was built in the Victorian Gothic style in 1871 on Thorpe Lane atop the cliffs. It was funded by the Revd Robert Jermyn Cooper (who was Vicar for 57 years) and local landowner Robert Barry. It was designed by G. E. Street of Woodford and is Grade II* listed as a particularly fine example of his work. (Street is perhaps best known for his design of the Royal Courts of Justice.
Also, he numbered a young William Morris amongst his apprentices!) The design is said to reflect the change in worship that was influenced by the Oxford Movement. A notable feature of the church is the carvings and decorations which reflect the maritime and agricultural life of the parish. The stained glass by Henry Holliday (1839 – 1927) is said by Nikolaus Pevsner to be ‘of great merit’ (The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, the North Riding, 1966).
The Deanery Synod Representatives are Mrs
Margaret Pearson and Mrs Ann Margaret Burchell.
More information may be found at:
Hawsker cum Stainsacre All Saints
(N 54.46235, W -0.57873) Postcode: YO22 4LA
Hawsker lies about 2 miles SE of Whitby Abbey divided into the ‘High’ and 'Low’ village by the main Scarborough road. There is a record in the middle of the twelfth century of the Lord of the Manor seeking permission from the abbey to build a chapel ‘in honour of All Saints’ and there must have been other places of worship over the centuries. The present Grade II listed church was built in 1876-77 to a design by Whitby architect E. H. Smales (also see Egton St Hilda). The east and west windows are by the innovatory stained glass manufacturers James Powell and Sons (Whitefriars Glass) who made glass for William Morris. Nikolaus Pevsner (The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, the North Riding, 1966) suggests that other windows follow the designs of Alfred Rethel, German historical artist of the period. At the Millennium, the pews were removed, a new floor was laid and toilets and a kitchen were added to make it into a community resource (also see ACNY website below). Joint services are held with St Stephen’s, Fylingdales.
The Deanery Synod Representative is Mrs Mary Cummings.
More information may be found at:
October Services at Fylingdales and Hawsker
On the first Sunday of October at 10.30 am there will be a Harvest Morning Service at Fyling Hall.
There will be Holy Communion every Sunday except the first (see above) at 9.15am (10.00am on 30th).
There will be Holy Communion on the second and third Sundays at 10.45am, and
Morning Worship on the fourth Sunday at 10.45 am.